Saturday 9 August 2014

The Fabric Bomb has morphed!

You might remember that Pamela's husband drew my name for the fabric bomb and she kindly sent me a package of several Japanese fabrics.   I scratched my head and sprouted a few more grey hairs before settling on....
Many years ago when living in Japan I used to make little kimono ladies out of Japanese paper.  So why not a slightly bigger kimono lady out of Japanese fabric?   I ironed interfacing onto the kimono fabric and proceeded to fold and press.   The obi isn't authentic but is made from two more of the fabrics Pamela sent. The obi cord is made of the threads and the hair decoration is the ribbon and button.  
I plan on making this up into a tote bag to hang from wooden handles I bought while in Japan 10 years ago.   But there is more work yet to get this lady fastened to the bag fabric.
She reminds me of summer nights at festivals in Japan - hence I used the yellow ribbon as a reminder to me of the strings of lights over the food stalls at those festivals.
I am not an aficionado of applique or quilting but she's looking good and I have been taken out of my comfort zone a little.   Thanks Pamela.




9 comments:

cucki said...

Wow she is so beautiful and I love Japanese ladies too :)
Sweet hugs x

Heather said...

Wow! She is absolutely amazing. You did a such a great job.

Bonnie said...

Excellent creative use of your fabric bomb!

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Very clever idea Margaret, so neat.

KimM said...

So pretty - how creative!!
xxx

Wendy said...

I think she's wonderful. I have some washi papers and a pattern to fold some of these ladies but for some reason I haven't done it.

Elizabeth's quarters said...

She's fantastic! I love the idea of attaching her to a bag too–a constant shopping companion.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

She is amazing! What a clever idea and novel use of fabric.

shirley said...

Your lovely Japanese lady is delightful.